This is part and parcel of my journey through life, as seen through my eyes, heart and mind. Scary I know!!- Hopefully this Blog will allow us to Learn & LAUGH, as well as to THINK and QUESTION: Who we are, Where we are heading and Who we are becoming- Join in on my journey?....... Or Not!
GOD BLESS AMERICA; AMERICA, BLESS GOD!
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Small Towns in the 50's
Small Towns in the 50's
Me- Age 4 Christmas 1958
Those who grew up in small towns in the 50's will laugh when they read this.
Those who didn't, will be in disbelief and won't understand how true it is…
1) You can name almost everyone you graduated with.
2) You know what 4-H/FFA means.
3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, back yard, river bank or in the middle of a dirt road.
4) You used to 'drag/cruise' Main St .
5) You whispered any dirty word and your parents knew within the hour.
6)Parties were scheduled by your local church for teen agers.
7) You could never buy cigarettes/beer because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough, they'd tell your parents anyhow.) Besides, where would you get the money?
8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy cigarettes, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to smoke them.
9) You heard stories about a beer joint in a town 40 miles away, but never dared go there for fear of being “ousted” by the community.
10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.
11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation.
12) You didn't give directions by street names but rather by references. Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks to Anderson 's, and it's four houses left of the track field.
13) The golf course had only 9 holes.
14) You probably dated a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend because the young crowd was so small.
15) Your car stayed dirty because of the dirt roads, and you did not want to own a dark vehicle for this reason.
16) The town next to you was considered 'trashy' or 'snooty,' but was actually just like your town.
17) You referred to anyone with a house newer than 1950 as 'rich' people.
18) The people in the 'big city' dressed funny, and then you picked up the trend 2 years later.
19) Anyone you wanted could be found at the local gas station, the dairy bar, burger joint or pool hall.
20) You saw at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends driving a grain truck to school occasionally.
21) The coach suggested you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.
22) Directions were given using THE stop light as a reference.
23) When you decided to walk somewhere, 5 people would pull over and ask if you wanted a ride.
24) Your teachers called you by your older siblings' names.
25) Your teachers remembered when they taught your brothers or sisters.
26) You could charge at any local store or write checks without any ID.
27) There were no McDonalds or Burger Kings.
28) The closest city was over an hour away.
29) Most people used reel type/push lawn mowers.
30) You've kissed your sweetheart in wheat field/cornfield/hayfield/barn lot.
31) You probably started driving a tractor to plow/disc/etc. by the time you were 14 years old.
32) Most people went by a nickname.
33) You kept your guns or fishing tackle in the car/truck so you could go hunting/fishing after school.
34) You had been hunting with a gun since you were 12 years old.
35) The car/truck you drove belonged to dad and was probably the only family vehicle.
36) Eight out of ten high school boys could tune a car's engine; four out of ten could rebuild that engine.
37) There was a huge crowd in town on Saturday afternoon.
38) Farmers could actually "trade" their eggs/milk/cream/chickens for groceries and other goods at some of the local stores.
39) You had heard of but not yet seen a TV program.
40) You laughed while reading this because you know it is true. And, you forward it to everyone you know who may have lived in a small town so they can laugh ,too.
I would not have wanted to have been raised any other way!!!
Pollen puddle after hard rain!
SPRING COLOR 2
MAN I HAVE A SORE THROAT AFTER ALL THAT POLLEN
WHAT IS THIS? ANSWER BELOW*
*THE WEIRD ONE IS A TADPOLE IN THE POND ON HIS WAY UP FOR AIR!
YES FOLKS--I'M BACK! SO GET READY FOR SOME BAD PUNS AND LIZARD JOKES!